Require online coach training, assess golf class structure and deliver feedback to Lead and Assistant Coaches, coach orientation, coach grill-out (training and discussion), coach scrambles.
Volunteer Master List Updating
Goal of coach orientation: Prepare volunteers for the first day of golf class, and reinforce most important parts of coach training.
- Prepare for first day of golf class
- Structure of class: 15 min warmup, 45 min of instruction
- Purpose of warmup: to break up monotony of class and to encourage healthy habits and exercise.
- Instruction structure: deliver lecture w/ 1 thing to work on -> small groups -> deliver lecture w/ 1 thing to work on -> small groups -> end of class competition
- Important parts of coach training
- Safety #1: Safety zone and tee markers; identify "danger zone" (no walking between tee markers and safety zone)
- Safety #2: Getting water -> go as a group, not a big deal to stop your small group; children are vulnerable when alone
- Curriculum #1: IMPORTANCE OF INTENTION = ATTENTION
- Must stay focused on 1 thing to work on even though the kid may need other things to work on
- Golf is series of building blocks; Rome wasn't built overnight; focus on one thing at a time
- Curriculum #2: What is our goal with the kids?
- We want to develop well rounded students that are knowledgeable in rules & etiquette, life skills, and understand golf swing mechanics. We don't expect mastery of golf swing skills until the Intermediate Level.
- Curriculum #3: Asking good questions. Why is this so important?
- Troubleshooting/Fixing the problem
- Makes golf more interesting; kids may not be able to identify what happens on a good golf shot
- Components of a golf shot (trajectory: high/low, distance: far/short, direction: left/right)
- Ask the kids about each of these components after they hit a shot! (did it go high or low? why? (loft, letter L for high or letter Y for low or thin vs good contact- where did ball contact on the face?) Did it go far or short? why? (long Y short Y) did it go left or right or straight? why? (club face direction)